December 09, 2010

The weirdest phrases in Tanglish (Tamil+English )


This is a collection of lingo that has become popular in circles around me and has stuck in my mind. These are the funniest, weirdest and my most favourite terms (in alphabetical order):



Ajak -
Funny as it sounds, Ajak is probably the most innovative way that I’ve heard it. If your hear one of my friends in Chennai say it, I’m sure you’d be able to immediately grasp what it refers to! If you have no clue as to what it means, “When unsure, call him or her an Ajak!”
Variations of the word: Ajaktha

Behave -
Behave refers to bad behavior and/or misconduct. Another PS word (refer Mavane), this one has caught on and spread like wildfire. Generally used as "Cheap Behaviour" or "Ipdi Behave pannaadha da!!"


Harrey baaba! -
This is a classic! Totally retro in its usage, “Harrey baaba!” was recently resurrected by one of my department’s very own! *wink* Words can’t tell you how funny it is to have someone call you this, or even how funny it is to have someone narrate this to you!


Maadi -
Originally Kannada, I can’t imagine how this word could creep into Tamil, or Chennai-English. I’ve come across only person using it (Hello, hon! *wink*) , but supposedly more people do. I’m more surprised by this word because it’s one of those words that are slowly coming into the vocab and I’m lucky enough to see that process happening. Catchy!


Masssss –
*fits of laughter* this term is now very popular among people our age in Chennai. “Mass” is one of those words that can be used for most situations! It actually refers to a very heroic or very noticeable deed but the meaning is very flexible and up to the interpretation of people most of the times.



Variations and usage: Massesh (my brother uses this at times), Ma ma Masss! (like in the song), Mass kaatran!




Mavane-
Pronounced “muh-vun-ay”...  Purely PS!! Guys from PS school in my college have their own style of conversing and this is one of their very popular words. “Mavane!” is actually “my son” in Tamil. I’ve seen people in movies, especially thugs, use this term when making threats. But quite contradicting to this, the PS gang in my college has adapted this word as “greatness”. “MAVANE KP!!” would generally be said if KP gets three head-shots in a row! Love the term and the way they use it. It’s very catchy too; once you listen to them use it.


Umpak-ajuk-gamuk-
HAHA!! The first time I heard Prahaladh tell this, I was really taken aback. It is such an insulting way of putting it. “Umpak-ajuk-gamuk” refers to the physical contact in a relationship. Writing or reading it doesn’t give any justice to the humour in it. It has to be heard and seen, along with the wink and the grin. Love it! The gang’s favourite way to put it.


Vague-
The classic Karthik phrase!! Vague is almost anything that is unexpected, funny, annoying, vague or any other adjective you can think of. It can be used almost anywhere and must be used along with “irukku” most of the time. I know, “Idhuve Vague-aah irukku!!”

I know that I’ve missed out on a lot! I’d love to add to this list! Please comment suggesting other phrases you’d like to see on the list!

PS: This is not a PS word list!! :D Adhu venaa separate aah panlaam :D

Terms added based on suggestions :

Cheap (suggested by SRK) :
Cheap is almost Tamil now, like he said in the comment! Cheap refers to something that is low in standards, morality, social acceptability or likability. Cheap is generally used along with 'behaviour' as  "Cheap Behaviour" or just as "CHEAP-u!!"

Terror (suggested by Bharat) :
Terror is a synonym om MASSS but more popular in my hostel. 'Terror kaatradhu' is pretty much the same as 'mass kaatradhu' and is used on similar lines.

Thudi (suggested by Jag) :
Another one of the PS slang. "Thudi" refers to immense suffering in the purest form. But the guys generally use it for much lighter sense. This word is very funny when used in contexts that fit the slang. It always makes me and my room mate look at each other and think, "O@th@!" :D :D
Cheers,
Deepak Valagam



8 comments:

srk said...

u gotta add CHEAP.. its actually bcme kind of tamil..

Unknown said...

GajaGajaja!

Unknown said...

TERRORRR!!:D

Unknown said...

@gopy : semma getthu da :) thanks for the glorification of mass. an innate sense of pride fills my heart for unknown reasons :D
@m.p.bharat : ennappa kooptiya?

jag said...

wat abt sethudu, thudi vedi madi

Deepak Valagam said...

@ MP : Will add that soon
@jag : Will add "thudi" da.. :D that's a good one!
@terror : Machaan yean da theriyaadha payyan kitta kooda mokka podra? :D :D

gita said...

@Deepak........MASSSSSSSSSSS.........lol.......... Saavu...sethu madi.idhellam yaaroda words......lol..... keep the good work going.........

Shn said...

What about words like dubukku, machan, machi, body, etc..