July 21, 2011

Modern Righteousness

"I would consider water service to be a better option" said the guy in the black t-shirt who just walked into the tea stall.

The worker in the tea stall was washing the bike there with water and a soft cloth, the owner of the stall (and bike) behind the counter, fetching his customer some cigarettes and small-talking.

"Water service? Water service once a week will cost much more than an hour of Dilip's time" said the owner.

Dilip seemed to be unimpressed by his owner's comment as he frowned at him, squeezing the water out of the cloth, into the bucket of dirty water. He then dropped the cloth and took the bucket in his hand with much difficulty. "It should be tough on an 8 year old boy" I thought.

So, I kept the tea glass on the ground, walked swiftly to the bike, got on and rode it away, rock music playing in my head and adrenaline pumping through my veins. Hearing screaming voices of the owner and the sound of the thrown stones, largely muffled by the "wrrrrroom" of the 4 stroke bike and the pulsing blood in my ears.



That was the third in a week. I can't help pity poor Dilip. His fate must have been horrible. But that's how the world works. By virtue of my profession, I tend to hurt some people monetarily, some emotionally and some physically. It isn't a question of doing right or wrong. It is a question of doing what is necessary.

"Hmmm.. Splendor.. 2003 model.. 15k" said Joseph.

"18k it is then.." I said. The math between Joseph and me is simple. He knows me only by face. I know his store only by his back door. And all the money is cash, 20% more than his initial offer. All that for a fortnight of stalking and a day of adrenaline is a decent pay one would say. It's not a full-time job anyway.

I was ready to leave when he called out, "What is this?" he asked.

I turned back and started walking towards him. I entered his back gate and stepped a meter inside and BLACK.

I woke up in a garage. Full of bikes, I could spot the Enfield and the Boxer I had brought to Joseph over the week.

"This is the guy" I heard feebly. My head felt heavy, I could barely turn to see the garage door slide up. The bright outdoors hurt my eye and a bulky guy walked in with Joseph.

"SHIT." I thought! And you can guess who he was when I say he started walking towards the cruiser bike.

"Well," I thought as the hammer swung towards my face "this is the world! This is how it is." THUD!

"This is the modern way of righteousness." I thought. "Money!" As my world turned into slow motion and I heard the hammer drop down with a loud cling. My warm blood dripped to the floor.

"Money is the be all" BAM, his knees met my chin "and end all of life!" I leaned back on the wall, unable to feel half of my face.

"There's no pity." BOOM, he stamped my chest with his huge feet. "There is no compassion. The modern righteousness is dictated by green. For me and for everybody else."

2 comments:

Aarthy said...

Circle of life !!! it has always been true

nXt said...

Its people who lost their way! Its a one way dead-end tunnel! Its the Black hole, we created for we to be absorbed into it one day and all that remains is only void!!
If this realization dawns, still nothing can be changed, but helps one to prolong being absorbed into hollowness and let others know, being absorbed into Money is not the only way to survive! Lets Evolve!