June 27, 2011

The 24th chromosome

There she stood, watching us all, singing something to us from behind the glass. If anything like this was there back when I was 20, they'd call it a zoo. Caged, sparsely fed and angry was she. Tamed by her keepers. She wasn't a creature to be tamed. She was a natural beauty.

Her wings, silver like the moon and feathered with those beautifully streamlined quills! Her beak, sharp as a knife, yet crooked as a hook. Her eyes, blue and glowing, reflecting the bright Sunday sun. Her neck long as a pencil, and legs like shoots of the bamboos that beautified her abode. Her skin ebony in shade and glowing. And her dress for the week, a beautiful red velvety gown that swept the glass floors clean. Yup, she wore a dress. And yes, she was human, almost.




So, Dr. Edwin told me, "if ever there was something called a Phoenix, it's right there in front of us." I looked at awe. 'It'??? How can you call a human it?

"I know what you're thinking, Professor!" Dr. Edwin reassured me, "it isn't human enough for me to refer to it as her. It's 24th chromosome is well away from what you and I possess!"

A chromosome makes her unworthy of some respect? I was puzzled. I know you are too. Let me start out from the beginning then. It's the year 2046 and the world isn't what it was back then. Humans are of two types now. Pure and hybrid.

Rewinding back ten odd years, after much testing, some scientists from Singapore came up with the ultimate human evolution drug. People call it 'splicing'. It's like you can take your own 'avatar' with the help of it. You can mix an animal DNA with yours to evolve into a hybrid species. It took a week of painful transformation, but you'd finally become what you've always wanted to.

This technology was sold to a European firm for thousands of billions of Euros. But considering the European laws, they couldn't use it in Europe before enough testing. So, they sourced people from third world countries to test this on. Mostly African countries sourced men, women and children. It started in tens, extended to hundreds and multiplied to thousands of subjects. These spliced people were becoming works of art. They were created, caged and sold to be exhibition pieces.

Phoenix, the girl I'm meeting today is one of them. She is a hybrid in the pure sense. She was born from DNA's of a Centaur (half man - half horse) man and a Karuda (half man - half eagle) woman.

Priced at ten figures in Euros, Phoenix was actually one of the more expensive buys. Of course, the ordinary man in the ordinary world thought Splicing was just as true as Santa Claus. But someone who could afford a real Santa for Christmas, could afford a real, spliced piece of art for his villa. They weren't produced in millions, it was still underground and without knowledge of authorities.

"So, Professor? Do you wish to meet it in person? It's quite charming actually!" claimed Dr. Edwin.

"Defnitely!" I said.

So, I met her for the first time.

"Hi!" I told her, as the guards locked her to her seat.

I turned up to them "Leave us alone?" I asked.

"but sir?" they argued.

"Please?" I said, showing them the shock gun Dr. Edwin had given me. And they left.

"Hello!" I greeted her again. Her first words to me weren't English. They were a loud scorning roar, with a face befitting her anger and frustration. She was a work of art indeed, but not a human work of art, it was a divine work of art.

"I am going to buy you. Yes, "BUY" you!" I said arrogantly. She frowned right into my eyes and spat at me. As I wiped my face with a my towel, she said her first words to me, "F*** off!!"

I wouldn't blame her. Being taught your alphabet with chains around your neck wouldn't make you feel good. Neither would repeated sexual exploitation by the night guards at the facility. She had every right to be angry. Humans, according to her were mean asses.

"God" I said, "is kinder than these sinned souls. The Temple of Higginbotham wishes to wash your sins clean and give you an opportunity for new life" I said.

The part which I haven't told you yet is the Redemption Temple of Higginbotham. A foundation started hundreds of years back, more recently popularized by money and miracles. As people, we all love miracles, don't we? And so, with splicing, the richer Redemptionists sensed an opportunity. Larger the religion, more the money. And so, the Redempionists started investing in R&D to find a cure for Splicing. And when they struck gold, they started going public with their miracles : cure for the disabled. And so, the temple became popular. Stories spread, myths were formed in a matter of months. It's a faster world than 2 millenia ago, Religions and myths are easier to make.

"God can cure you!" they said. Pure marketing. And so, their floors filled with gold from the deprived. Belief can be a bitch at times. And it still hasn't stopped people from believing. And so, the temple buys Spliced people, cures them and markets itself.

"God can cure you!" I said. That was my job. It's all business, you see. To make her believe that GOD cured her. The subject is the strongest testimony you can have. She is impossible to overlook. And when she tells people, science becomes miracle.

Don't blame me. This is how I make my money. I'm convinced that Science is a tool! A tool to make money. Just like how it was used to make money from television sets and computers, it's now used to sell Religion to people.

Gone are the days when Science questioned religion. Now is when Science lends it a helping hand. It's almost 2050 and the business of the decade is "RELIGION".

I told you when I was 20, man needs GOD.

----------------------4 years later---------------------------------

"So, you tricked me into it? All my belief is false??" she asked me, shattered!

"Yes!" I said.

"I wish I had wings to fly away from here!" She said.

"You do!" I said and handed her a cheque.

"That isn't a wing." she said.

"In a world of normal people, it is!"

It had been exposed, the whole system of the temple. A religion fell as quickly as it rose. But that could only mean one thing. The other religions flourished better than ever before. At the end of the decade, the 24th chromosome got normalized. Only if scientists found "The belief" chromosome.. Till the day people cease to believe, popes will always carry Golden Staffs and priests will always wear Golden chains. "GOD" bless himself for he has become a mere movie in a theater..

Please raise your hands if in 2011 you thought God was better than a marketable product!




3 comments:

Ramsundar Shandilya said...

Woah!..Awesome da...

manasa said...

maravilloso! class apart. loved it :)

Deepak Valagam said...

Thank you :)