November 28, 2010

The Pause and Play Relationship

Have you ever seen the DVD player which says, "Disk will resume at this position" when you stop it somewhere? Well, as a continuation of my previous post, I'd like to say a few things about another special kind of relationship.. "THE PAUSE AND PLAY RELATIONSHIP"
Well, just after reading the title, most of us would be able to classify this sort of a relationship. I read this beautiful status message in one of my friends' Facebook profile..
  • Ever-lasting friends can go long periods of time without speaking and never question the friendship. These types of friends pick up like they just spoke yesterday, regardless of how long it has been or how far away they live, and they don't hold grudges. They understand that life is busy but you will always love them.

Now, I'm sure that most of us can recall such a person in our lives. A friend from school who you were very very close to, but sadly lost touch with as time went on. But then, you meet them again and magically you start off on the same note than you left the relationship in. Just like the DVD player.

I know this is very contrasting to my previous post, it's like I'm bringing red and blue together and saying they're the same color. Well, actually, what I'm trying to say is that "white has both red and blue." When's red's one end of the spectrum, blue is another.

There are so many different people in the world, we meet them in so many different situations and we form opinions, liking and disliking based on this. So, this "play and pause relationship" is formed only when you like a person, a lot, in fact like them enough to give them freedom to live their lives and show trust in them by by knowing that they're still in your life, somehow..

When a friend of yours (my brother in my case would be an example) goes abroad or far away, it is natural for you to lose touch with the person's day to day life. But we never mind, do we? We carry on with our life. We're busy. But then, suddenly, they call and you are so happy to see them call and you talk for a few hours.. a few hours that just whiz by without a warning.

The difference between this and the lost relationship is that these are people who you "want to" be in touch with and these are people who "want to" be in touch with you. Whereas, people whose relationships you've lost are people who you are forced to be in touch with.

I can proudly say I have very few "pause and play" friends in my life. Well, I would give a million bucks to be in their daily life, but I respect and recognize the fact that life's taken us apart. I know that it's difficult, but its special too!! It is something that I share with a very few people and I consider it to be an honor to be someone's "pause and play" friend, because it shows that I'm important, wanted, loved and respected.

Deepak Valagam





5 comments:

karthik selva said...

nice da.. :)

gita said...

well said deepak. terrific.love this......i have one such friend..for the past thirty years....

Aravinth Baskaran said...

Its the Pause that Refreshes..
Way to go buddy ;)

Aarthy said...

ohh nice one...:)) well to say this makes the once in a while conversation so interesting....u are catching up for the lost years, months !!!
best time to evaluate from where to where you have moved on !!! my best friend always says...Aarthy u have changed so much...'no am not!!'...hahhah

sudha santhanam said...

we cross many roads in our life path. when we r busy in our route we loose the person who comes closely with us. when we meet them again later we have sooo many things to share, which gives immense pleasure of course. good to realise that!!